These cookies are easy to make by hand in a bowl with a whisk. And they’re gluten free!
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 egg whites lightly beaten with fork to loosen
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 1 teaspoon Trablit or Instant Espresso
- 1 lb chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Put the following ingredients in a bowl: powdered sugar, cocoa powder, arrowroot, cinnamon, salt and instant espresso if using. Use a whisk and mix until the dry ingredients are well blended and you don’t have any more cocoa or powdered sugar clumps.
- Add the egg whites and whisk until the batter is well mixed and you no longer see any dry ingredients.
- Stir in your chosen flavoring and the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. You might want to use a wooden spoon for this part. The batter will look like thinner brownie batter.
- Spoon the batter onto the lined baking trays using a small cookie scoop or two spoons. The cookies spread so position the spoonfuls an inch apart.
- Bake until the cookies are cracking on the surface, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Let cool on the trays until you can handle the liner then slice them off onto a rack or cool surface to continue cooking.